Changes inevitably occur to women's bodies over time, whether due to pregnancy and breastfeeding, significant weight loss, or the aging process. To help women address these changes and feel more confident about their appearance, Dr. Michael S. Beckenstein performs a personalized combination of procedures called a mommy makeover at his practice in Birmingham, AL.
If you would like to meet with Dr. Beckenstein in Birmingham and learn more about mommy makeover surgery, please request your comprehensive consultation online or feel free to speak with an office associate at (205) 933-9308.
Featured Before & After Photos
WARNING: This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.
Case 40, Breast Augmentation, Mommy Makeover, Tummy Tuck
After undergoing a gastric bypass procedure and consequently dropping 115 pounds in body fat, this 33 year-old woman was discomforted by the excess amount of skin weighing her down. She was dissatisfied with how her clothes fit and unhappy with the remaining bulge in her lower abdomen. She found that her healthy diet and workout plan were not enough to transform her body into the shape she desired. To find out more about post-weight-loss plastic surgery near Montgomery, Alabama, she scheduled a consultation with Dr. Beckenstein at his Birmingham plastic surgery practice.After much consultation, Dr. Beckenstein performed a breast augmentation to restore the volume in this patient's saggin...
Mommy Makeover Candidates
As the name indicates, mommy makeovers are particularly popular among women who have had children. Pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding can have a significant impact on the body, especially the breasts and tummy. You may be a good candidate for mommy makeover surgery if you are in good health, have realistic goals, and are at or near your target weight. A mommy makeover can provide a combination of the following improvements:
- Replace lost breast volume
- Tighten stretched skin on the breasts and tummy
- Repair weakened abdominal muscles
- Reduce stubborn pockets of fat
- Enhance self-confidence
When you visit Dr. Beckenstein, you will receive a thorough consultation to educate you about your options. He will perform a physical exam, talk with you about your concerns, and then develop a mommy makeover plan to fit your needs.
While Dr. Beckenstein customizes each surgical plan to the patient's unique needs and aesthetic goals, mommy makeovers typically include a combination of the following procedures for the breasts and body:
Rejuvenate Your Breasts
- Breast augmentation fills out and reshapes the breasts with silicone or saline breast implants. You can choose this procedure to return your breasts to their pre-pregnancy size, or to have the fuller breasts you have always wanted.
- Breast lift, with or without implants, can reshape stretched or drooping breasts and areolas and create a more youthful look.
- Breast reduction provides physical relief from overly large breasts while improving their shape. Dr. Beckenstein can also reduce and reshape enlarged areolas to give the breasts a more balanced look.
Rejuvenate Your Body
- Tummy tuck can smooth and tighten lax skin on the tummy, flatten bulging abdominal muscles, and reshape your belly button. Dr. Beckenstein offers several versions of this procedure, such as a traditional tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck.
- Liposuction reduces areas of excess fat that remain after weight loss. Moms often choose this procedure to contour the waist, thighs, abdomen, and arms, among other areas.
Your Mommy Makeover Surgery
Dr. Beckenstein typically performs mommy makeover procedures as outpatient surgery using general anesthesia. Most often, he can complete a mommy makeover in 3.5 to 4 hours. This is an important milestone: Procedures that last more than 6 hours tend to have increased complications, and safety is of utmost importance.
During the recovery after your mommy makeover, it will be helpful to have a loved one to assist you with your needs and take over your normal household duties, so you can relax and let yourself heal.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of combining procedures?
If you have more than one area you'd like to improve, there are several advantages to having your procedures performed together:
- Multiple improvements with a single surgery
- A single recovery period
- Lower overall cost of surgery
How much does a mommy makeover cost?
Because mommy makeovers vary widely in the procedures performed and surgical complexity, it's difficult to provide a price without a consultation. While it is necessary to factor in cost when making a decision, Dr. Beckenstein encourages patients to consider a surgeon's training and experience first and foremost.
The simplest way to choose a qualified plastic surgeon is to choose one who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition, be sure to choose a surgeon who has performed many of these complex combination procedures, because experience matters.
Should I postpone my mommy makeover until I'm done having children?
Plastic surgery will not impact your ability to carry a baby to term and deliver safely; however, mommy makeovers are a significant investment both physically and financially. It is likely that a subsequent pregnancy will stretch out your breasts and abdominal area again, undoing the improvements from your surgery.
For answers to additional questions, please view our Mommy Makeover FAQs page.